Re: Best way to manage multiple accounts

fre, 14.05.2004 kl. 20.00 skrev adp:

> This is a common issue I'm sure, and I'm looking for suggestions.
>
> We have a group people, Tim, Bob, and Phil. Each person has at least one
> account. In addition, Bob and Phil need access to some applications that
> need special usernames or passwords, and so they need more than one entry in
> LDAP. (My thoughts at least.)
>
> What is the best way to arrange this?

Put them in a group? That's what I do for people who have to manage
others, change others' details, access apps and so on:

dn: cn=peoplemanagers,ou=groups,dc=billy,dc=demon,dc=nl
objectClass: top
objectClass: groupOfNames
member: cn=evy,ou=people,ou=groups,dc=billy,dc=demon,dc=nl
member: cn=tonni,ou=people,ou=groups,dc=billy,dc=demon,dc=nl
member: cn=billy,ou=people,ou=groups,dc=billy,dc=demon,dc=nl
cn: peoplemanagers

access to dn.subtree=ou=people,ou=groups,dc=billy,dc=demon,dc=nl
  by dn=cn=admin,dc=billy,dc=demon,dc=nl write
  by group=cn=peoplemanagers,ou=groups,dc=billy,dc=demon,dc=nl write
  by * read

> I'm thinking that we need one subtree that is The Person (like Bob and his
> contact information). We can then have another subtree for The Accounts (a
> simpleSecurityObject probably). So perhaps something like:
>
> ou=People,root
> ou=Accounts,root
>
> Now since we have to support multiple applications, should we further extend
> this?
>
> ou=App1,ou=Accounts,root
> ou=App2,ou=Accounts,root
> ou=App3,ou=Accounts,root
>
> How do you solve this problem?

My version is 2.2.11. Openldap is extremely flexible in granting access.
One of the most powerful tools is Posix regexps. If you have a very
recent version, 'man slapd.access' will explain a lot.

> Also, I want to be able to view cn=bobemail,ou=App3,ou=Accounts,root and say
> "This belongs to uid=bob,ou=People,root" easily. Is there a standard way to
> point all of my accounts to a single "I own this" entry somewhere like
> ou=People?

 Crafted ldapsearch or ldapwhoami command-line shell scriptlets should
do it. Don't know of any eDirectory-type GUI that does this. Of course,
with PHP4 or Perl CGIs the sky's the limit ;) There's a new phpldapadmin
out, but I haven't looked at it yet.

> This is more of a design question than a technical one, but I'm open to

You're your own architect, different people on this list have laid forth
many different schemes for doing what they want.

Best,

--Tonni

--

We make out of the quarrel with others rhetoric
but out of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry.

mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl