LDAP Sync or Slurpd?

Hi all,

I've read the Admin guide for OpenLDAP 2.2.x, and I've just downloaded 2.2.11
(I'm moving to this from the latest 2.1.x release -- 22 maybe?).

Anyway, I haven't really had many problems with slurpd in terms of speed or
reliability, so I'm wondering what syncrepl really gives me that slurpd
doesn't. Was this designed to be more secure? More stable/reliable? All of
the above?

Is this a precursor (or, um, prerequisite) to doing multimaster replication
with OpenLDAP?

Is slurpd going to be phased out at some point in favor of this new method?
Thanks,
brian.