Re: Move From Redhat 7.3 to redhat ES 3.0

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Donn Cave wrote:

> On Monday, May 10, 2004, at 01:01 PM, Rich Graves wrote:
> > Incidentally, recent discussions here suggest that you are better off
> > moving to RHEL 2.1 than ES 3.0.
>
> I thought I read from yesterday's mail that Pierangelo Masarati went
> to the trouble to test this, and initial results actually suggested
> the opposite conclusion.  I would like to understand this better myself,
> since we're stuck with RHE3 and did have one worrisome experience with
> it, but the hosts I have now for this platform really do quite well, up
> to 2K queries per second with a couple dozen concurrent clients.

The scenario I am working with involves about 8-12 concurrent clients max,
each doing a single search per bind, and I'm getting about 200/minute (for
a qmail email address lookup). With multiple searches per bind (not
relevant to the production load though) we easily get up to >1000/minute.
Except that RHEL3 is still 5-10* slower.

> It was also interesting to see that his test machine had two Xeon
> processors, since that configuration has come under suspicion too.

The boxes I have been benchmarking are P3 Xeon's (thus no HT), which could
have an impact w.r.t. NPTL.

Regards,
Buchan