Re: Password Access Control does not work as expected

Martin Konold wrote:
Hi,

I am putting the following as the first entry in slapd.conf:

access to attr=userPassword
        by group="cn=admin,base_dn" write
        by group="cn=maintainer,base_dn" write
        by self write
        by anonymous auth
        by * none stop

To my surprise the admin and maintainer users are able to _read_ the userPassword attribute. I expect that users are able to authenticate and to set the password but nobody is allowed to read the password.

(Tested with multiple versions of OpenLDAP incl. 2.1.12)

Is this a known issue?

See man slapd.access

write includes all other privileges. you probably want =wx

Yours
Stephan Siano

Dr. Stephan Siano, Consultant
SUSE LINUX AG, Mergenthalerallee 45-47, D-65760 Eschborn
T: +49 (0) 6196 5095131
F: +49 (0) 6196 409607    - stephan.siano@suse.com