libldap or libldap_r

Title: libldap or libldap_r

I'm integrating a multithreaded application with OpenLDAP and I would like to have multiple threads accessing the LDAP library concurrently (with different LDAP sessions).

I found old posting mentionning that libldap_r supports concurrent calls as long as each thread uses a different LDAP session but that this library is still experimental.

Has the status of this library changed?

On libldap, I found that all calls to libldap have to be serialized. Is this correct?

In general, which one of those 2 libraries should I rather use to maximize the performance of my application?

Thanks.

Philippe