Re: SLOW Performance: OpenLDAP on Linux and IBM Dual Xeon?

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, at 02:21 PM, Digant Kasundra wrote:
I am using OpenLDAP 2.2.8 with BDB 4.2.52, heimdal 0.6, and cyrus-sasl
2.1.18. All machines are on the same kernel with the same cache size
setups, same dataset, and the tests query the same uids. The most bizarre
part is that my Dell Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz is only able to do 5000 queries a
mere 10 seconds faster than my Pentium 3 700Mhz. And my IBM Dual Xeon
2.0Ghz comes in last, taking almost 3 times longer.

I need to see if this is an OpenLDAP specific problem or a general system
problem, as mentioned. My HTTPD tests showed equal performance and was
therefore inconclusive. Is there another test suite I could try?

I had a host here that was a couple of orders of magnitude slower than it ought to have been, oddly enough also a dual Xeon. In my case, all are new HP hardware, but only this one is dual - though they're all running an smp kernel build.

I still don't known why, but it isn't a major priority since
it never was intended to run a directory anyway.  The next
thing I am going to fix is syslog configuration - the fast
hosts route local4 network, the slow one to disk.  There are
a lot of little things that can be different, and somewhere
in there we may have a performance issue.

During your tests, is there a significant percentage of I/O
wait time?  (As "top" would report, or vmstat's "wa" column.)

	Donn Cave, donn@u.washington.edu