Re: distributed directories

There actually are ways to store (at least parts of) your LDAP configuration in
LDAP.  I do it for my HP-UX hosts.  See

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-joslin-config-schema-07.txt

I maintain the configurations for our replicas with ssh, rsync, gawk, and sed.
When a sysadmin brings up a new server they use sed on a standard template file
to create the new slapd.conf for the local replica.

When I updated from samba 2.2 to samba 3.0 schema I generated the new
slapd.conf files on all the replicas with these two commands (line breaks in
the first command were added by my mail client) :

# grep replica /etc/openldap/slapd.conf
|gawk -F\: '/^[^#]/{print $1}'
|gawk -F\= '{printf "ssh -2 -i/root/.ssh/id_dsa.ldapsync %s sed
%cs/rid/sambaSID/g\\;s/ntPassword/sambaNTPassword/g\\;s/lmPassword/sambaLMpasswo
rd/g%c \\\</etc/openldap/slapd.conf \\\>slapd.conf.new\n", $2, 39, 39}'
>bush_in_the_skull

# bash bush_in_the_skull

As always with *nix pipelines, you have to be careful with the escapes.... I'm
sure this could be done cleaner, but I just yanked this out of my history file,
it's what actually worked.

--Charlie