Index only works on 4+ characters?

I just ran into an odd occurrence - is there any reason that a search for (attributeName=*abc*) should fail to use an index, while (attributeName=*abcd*) will use the index?

It looks like if I do a search for 3 or less characters, it fails to use the index.

I'm currently using 2.2.5 with bdb.

Maybe this is fixed in the current version - I read in the change log that the bdb index format changed somewhere between version 2.2.5 (which I'm currently using) and the current version.

The index on the attribute in question is for pres, eq, sub, subany

Thanks,

Dan