Authenticate to OpenLDAP using PAM

I would like to authenticate to my OpenLDAP server in the same way I authenticate when I login (using PAM). After googling, I conclude most people are interested in the reverse: Using LDAP to authenticate when they login. I've also read "http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/security.html";, but it's not clear to what "user" and "password" correspond ...

Specifically, can the "user" and "password" supplied to the "simple" OpenLDAP authentication method be checked using PAM?

More generally, how can I authenticate to OpenLDAP using PAM?

Thanks!

Jack