RE: backing up: slapcat vs. ldapsearch vs. db_checkpoint

I read some of the postings on backups using slapcat and wondering if I
am doing this correctly. I'm currently using ldbm as a backend to
OpenLDAP. I've used slapcat without shutting down slapd, to an ldif
file. Should I not be doing that?

With all the recent posts regarding ldbm vs. Berkeley DB I decided to
try an installation an OpenLDAP installation and restore with Berkeley
DB 4.2.52. I will probably switch to this over the summer.

What I used:

OpenLDAP 2.1.29
Berkeley 4.2.52
Slackware 9.1

Everything compiled and installed correctly.The restore using slapadd
seems OK also.

Am I missing something about doing backups differently with an ldbm
database vs. Berkeley DB?

--
Kent L. Nasveschuk <kent@wareham.k12.ma.us>