Re: adding objectClass and Attributes to existing users

Personally, I stop slapd, slapcat the database (which gives me a backup ldif in
case I screw up), use gawk to make the modifications I want, rename the old
database files in /var/lib/ldap (which gives me a backup db in case I screw up)
and slapadd the gawk'ed ldif back in.

Some people prefer perl, but I just write awk scripts on the fly which run
faster anyway.  Either way the scripting's pretty easy. For example:

gawk '{print $0};/^dn:.+ou=People/{print "objectclass: ShadowAccount"}'
old.ldif >nu.ldif

will tack a ShadowAccount objectclass on each entry in ou=People (watch out for
case sensitivity in these kinds of things, though).  Obviously this is a very
trivial example; to actually populate the shadow fields would take more code.

Ldapadd'ing to a live database doesn't give you a very good backout strategy,
by comparison, and it's slow compared to slapadd.  Also, by having slapd turned
off while you are munging your data, you avoid having other processes change
data while you aren't looking.

--Charlie

PS: Mad props to Arnold Robbins for g(nu)awk, the best awk there is!
--C