Stopping qmail from pounding ldap server

Ive set up ldap for all of our unix/windows servers to authenticate against, however every incoming mail is querying the ldap database. We use RedHat Linux 7.3 and QMail SMTPD for incoming mail. The problem is we have a lot of mail servers and none of the incoming addresses will ever be found in our database (since it is currently only being used for authentication on the servers) Is there a way to make qmail not look up anything through ldap?

nsswitch.conf:  only password, shadow, group list 'ldap'

I have nscd running - but this is not cutting down the number of queries enough to keep the server from getting bogged down.

Thanks,

Lyle Worthington