RE: LDBM verse BDM

There's one thing to add:

In the thread below there seemed to be a lack of distinction between
back-ldbm configured to use Berkeley DB and back-bdb. The former gives you
little more than back-ldbm with the gdbm (or equivalent) database did
(little fault tolerance, concurrency problems, etc). The latter uses the
transactional support provided by Berkeley DB and has more features than I
can adequately describe here. Suffice it to say that we (Symas) never
recommend the use of back-ldbm to our customers for production environments.

Use the following search terms in Google to get more information on tuning:

OpenLDAP faq Tuning

Also, Quanah Gibson-Mount posted some excellent information that describes
Stanford's experience with back-bdb.

Hope this helps...

Matthew Hardin
Symas Corporation
Packaged, certified, and supported LDAP software:
http://www.symas.net/download