  Hi all,
  I'm using openldap-2.1.25 and I have
  this problem:

  one of the type of data in my DB is
  defined as:
  "
  attributetype ( 16572.2.2.1
          NAME 'providerCertificateSubject'
          DESC 'Subject DN del certificato X.509 del gestore'
          EQUALITY distinguishedNameMatch
          SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.12 )
  "
  in the DB's schema.

  when I add an entry with an attribute that wants
  to specify an e-mail address, and it is specified
  with:

  'Email=' or 'EMAILADDRESS='

  syntax, all goes well.
  But when I try to insert an entry that have the
  same parameter specified by:

  'E=' (or others ...)

  the insert fails, and the error:

  "
  ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
        additional info: providerCertificateSubject:
        value #0 invalid per syntax
  "

  is returned.

  My questions are:

  why is OpenLDAP checking the nature of single
  parameters that compose a DN?

  Is there a list of 'legal' attributes that can form
  a Distinguished Name? It seems to me that the RFC 2252
  doesn't mention it.

  Can I extend that 'list' of legal parameters?

  I hope my questions will be understood,
  thanks,
                Max

--