slapd's syslogging slowing it down

I tried configuring with --disable-syslog but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I wonder if there's a way to get rid of it cause it seems to have slowed things down. Perhaps not. It's hard to tell. When I create 100 entries then delete those same 100 entires my harddrive goes nuts and it takes quite a while (a few minutes).

Is there a configuration option I may be missing?

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib"
./configure --disable-syslog --enable-debug --enable-ldbm --disable-bdb --with-tls