kludge needed for broken client

We have a windoze app that allows us to sync data, from our phone
system, with an LDAP server. Of course they only support Netscape,
Exchange, Active Directory, and Novell. So therefore they use the broken
model of expecting the rootDSE attributes to be returned when queried
with " ldapsearch -h ldaphost -b "" ", versus the correct method "
ldapsearch -h ldaphost -b "" + " .

After lots of searching I found mention of a workaround, but nothing
specific as to how to get circumvent the issue. I realize that the
client is breaking the rules, but I have no other way around it. So any

Thanx

DuWayne