Re: LDAPI documentation (was Re: Graphical LDAP clients with SASL support)

Kevin wrote:
On Monday 08 March 2004 03:31, Michael Ströder wrote:

web2ldap does not support SASL bind requests yet
(although python-ldap supports it) since there was
no demand of users for it and no personal
requirement up to now.

If I could find it in a GUI LDAP browser/client, I would definitely use the GSSAPI SASL mechanism in performing both administrator and regular user binds to my server right now.

Anyone willing to provide me access to an OpenLDAP server with GSSAPI for testing over Internet? I'm reworking the bind code of web2ldap to support SASL but I don't have much spare time to setup Kerberos etc.

I can certainly see myself using other mechanisms in the future if they were available,

I will implement DIGEST-MD5, CRAM-MD5. EXTERNAL either with ldaps:// or StartTLS and client certs or ldapi:// does not really make sense with a web gateway. Up to now I'm not sure about whether to implement GSSAPI.

but I've tried every single GUI LDAP client that I can find (GQ, JXplorer, and probably 5 or 6 others whose names don't come to mind right now), and none of them support it.

Users have to file feature requests. Otherwise authors cannot determine what the users are after.

Ciao, Michael.