Rebuild slapd doesn't open port 636 for TLS/SSL

I've followed the instructions at <http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/185.html> for enabling TLS/SSL in OpenLDAP, but when I start my reconfigured/remade slapd port 636 (ldaps) isn't being listened to. After making the modifications in my slapd.conf file it seems to start up fine and doesn't complain about the certificates (like it did when I misspelled one of the filenames).

Is there something else, like an argument, that needs to be supplied to have it listen to that port?