Re: Graphical LDAP clients with SASL support

On 6 March 2004, Tony Earnshaw <tonye@billy.demon.nl> wrote:
> lør, 06.03.2004 kl. 21.30 skrev Kevin:
>
> > Googling turns up some others like phpLDAPadmin, and
> > LDAPExplorerTool, but there's nothing on whether or not they support
> > SASL authentication mechanisms.
>
> All of what you quoted, whilst not being *utter* crap, is still crap
> in a subordinate connotation.
>
> None of it supports ldapi (Unix domain sockets on localhost), which
> is the ultimate in sniffer safety. Plus giving you turbo-charged
> connectivity.
>
> As far as everything to do with PHP is concerned, definitely no SASL
> connectivity. Believe me, when GUI clients support SASL, they'll bray
> about it. Many MUAs do; my SquirrelMail - through Postfix -, Evo and
> Mozilla do, to a lesser extent. Some major non-GUI services, such
> as Exim and Courier IMAP do, to a lesser degree. Postfix does, 100%
> through auxprop, Openldap and Cyrus SASL2.

    Postfix doesn't support SASL binds.  SASL plays no role in the
functioning of Postfix LDAP maps.  SASL itself can use (among other
things) the ldapdb plugin during SMTP AUTH negotiation, but this has
nothing to do with Postfix.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--
Dr. Liviu Daia
Institute of Mathematics of the Romanian Academy