sudden increase in load on LINUX due to LDAP.

Dear subscribers,

I am using openldap 2.1.25 with BDB backend version 4.2 running on Linux version 8.

I have a strange problem: My Ldap is accessed by thousands of users and some and works on a normal LOAD of up to 1.
But sometimes suddenly to LOAD of the computer starts to increase and it reaches huge LOAD of up to 50 !!!!
And in this case no one is able to connect to the LDAP server.
This LOAD is then continues to increase until all process stop functioning, and only if I stop the LDAP process every thing is back to normal.

Is it possible to be due to locks of the DB ?
can it happen while the DATA is being written to the disk from cache ?
Does any body encountered such a problem ?
How can I use db_stat to  try to resolve the problem ?

please help,

thanks,

--
Ariel Pessah