Re: blank attribute value.

Thanks Francois, for the answer.

I asked this question in the context that I'm trying to figure out how to
make the OS X automounter understand the ldap schema to mount NFS disks.
Theoretically it's possible, but I haven't sacrificed enough chickens to
the Panther Gods to make it so.

According to most of the websites that I've read, if you want the
automounter to act as the intermediary, you have to have the VFSdir
attribute blank (which maps to the mountDirectory in the apple LDAP
schema), and add the VFSopts attribute value 'net' to the entry, and it
SHOULD work.   It works in a netinfo entry, anyway, so I would think that
it would work in an LDAP entry (though it doesn't).

I figured that was the answer, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

						-jeremy

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, François Beretti wrote:

> Jeremy Hallum a écrit :
>
> >I'd like to create a blank attribute value in ldap, but when I try to do
> >so by just
> >having the entry:
> >

> >mountDirectory:
> >
> >have no arguments, I get an error from slapadd.    How does one enter a
> >blank entry?  A short websearch did not give me any clues to this problem.
> >

> you can do this if the attribute syntax allows it
> if it doesn't, then you can't
>
> you shouldn't set the attribute at all, if it is not a required attibute.
> It's more natural, if an attribute doesn't have value, not to have an
> attribute at all in the entry
> so if you want to "erase" the attribute value, just remove the attribute
> from the entry
> and then if you want it to have a value, just add it to the entry with
> its value
>
> If the attribute is requiered in the objectClass and its syntax doesn't
> allow an empty value, you can't set an empty value for it.
>
> François
>

> >						-jeremy

  Jeremy Hallum, System Manager , Astronomy, University of Michigan
              jhallum@umich.edu::jhallum@dreamt.org
                    "Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"