RE: Limit on number of database that slapd can open?

--On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 2:54 PM -0600 "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Daniel@mayo.edu> wrote:

If I start my server with one less database than the point where it fails
- it only takes up 4.4 MB of memory according to top.  If I add one more
database to the server, then I get the error.  I don't think that I am
out of physical memory - as there are 3GB of real memory available.  And
if each Berkeley database has its own cache, it doesn't seem like any one
of them should be having memory problems.

I used to start this many databases with ldbm backends without an issue,
so I know it is somehow tied to Berkeley.  I must be hitting the system
limit of some memory related resources, from having so many Berkeley
databases open at once, but I don't know what it would be - most of my
ulimit settings are set to "unlimited".

I'm running on RedHat 9.

Hm, this actually mirrors an issue I have been seeing with 2.2.5 and 4.2.52.2 as well, on linux boxes (but not solaris). I can't allocate memory >= 2GB under BDB, even though the total memory is 4 GB.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems ITSS/TSS/Infrastructure Operations Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html