backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (13)

I've just created an ldap directory
and when I try to start it '/etc/init.d/slapd start' I get this error:

/bdb_db_open: dbenv_open(/var/lib/openldap-data)
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: Permission denied (13)
backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (13)
slapd shutdown: initiated
====> bdb_cache_release_all
slapd shutdown: freeing system resources.
bdb(dc=opelousas,dc=org): txn_checkpoint interface requires an
environment configured for the transaction subsystem
bdb_db_destroy: txn_checkpoint failed: Invalid argument (22)
====> bdb_cache_release_all
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy./

*The only thing I added to the directory should be:*
/## Build the root node.
dn: dc=opelousas,dc=org
dc: opelousas
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: Opelousas Dot Org

## Build the people ou.
dn: ou=people,dc=opelousas,dc=org
ou: people
objectClass: organizationalUnit/

*This is my slapd.conf:* / include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema include /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema include /etc/openldap/schema/jabber.schema include /etc/openldap/schema/samba.schema

loglevel 296 pidfile /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid argsfile /var/run/openldap/slapd.args

access to dn.base="" by * read access to dn.base="cn=Subschema" by * read access to * by self write by users read by anonymous auth

sasl-host kerberos.opelousas.org
sasl-realm OPELOUSAS.ORG
sasl-secprops noplain,noanonymous,minssf=56

database bdb suffix "dc=opelousas,dc=org" rootdn "cn=root,dc=opelousas,dc=org" directory /var/lib/openldap-data mode 0700 index objectClass eq/

I think this looks like a permission issue but I have changed a few things and still it fails to start! What am I missing? should I use a diffrent backend?