Re: can't bind to database

Chris St. Pierre wrote:
I've been working for some time now on migrating my Yellowdog Linux box from
passwd authentication to OpenLDAP 2.1.25.  I've finally gotten all of the
information migrated over, but I can't bind to the database as a regular user,
only as the root ("cn=manager," etc.) or, oddly enough, as an anonymous user.
When I try to bind as a user in the LDAP database, it gives me the following
error:

shell> ldapsearch -x -W \
       -D 'uid=cas1650,ou=People,dc=students,dc=NebrWesleyan,dc=edu' \
       -b 'dc=students,dc=NebrWesleyan,dc=edu' -LLL 'uid=cas1650'
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

Also, if I try to do something that requires LDAP authentication via the
pam_ldap module, like changing my password, it will not recognize the LDAP
password:

shell> passwd
Changing password for user cas1650.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
LDAP Password incorrect: try again

I've added the "[auth|account|password|session] sufficient
/lib/security/pam_ldap.so" lines to my /etc/pam.d/ files, and I've also
verified that the migration script I did shadowing correctly -- i.e., the
"userPassword" field is set to a real password, not to "x."  After that, I
really don't know what more to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris St. Pierre

"Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody
 tell you any different!"    --Kurt Vonnegut

How did you migrate the passwd info into your directory? How are you storing the userpassword attribute?

Dave
--
Dave Lewney
Principal Systems Programmer, IT Services