Can openldap do fan-out authentication?

We have an application that needs to authenticate usernames and
passwords against an LDAP server.  We don't have a single password
database that contains all of this information.  We have several that,
taken together, contain all of it.  The usernames are synchronized,
with considerable overlap between databases.  The passwords are not
synchronized.

Is there a way to use openldap to accept authentication queries from
this application, and attempt to verify the password against a list of
databases?  Some or all of the databases would be other LDAP servers.