exception in ldap_connect on windows SDK

Dear LDAP Gurus !!!

I'm having OpenLDAP 2.0.27 server installed in RedHat 9 linux server. I'm using Windows SDK APIs to connect to the ldap server.

When i'm using the ldpa_open ( ) api, i'm able to connect to the ldap server, able to create/delete entries in the ldap server. Where as, If i'm using ldap_init ( ) api and the ldap_connect ( ) api to connect to the server, my application is giving exception in the api ldap_connect ( ).

I'm using ldap_init ( ) and the ldap_connect ( ) pair so that i can specify a local timeout value before my connection to the ldap server.

Could you please tell me the reason, why its giving exception ??

Sanjay