OpenLDAP 2.1.x + nss_ldap (under Fedora)

I upgraded my server over the weekend to Fedora 1 and, although I had nss_ldap and openldap configured as I had under my old system, authentication and lookups were not working (getent passwd returned the locat file contents only even though /etc/nsswitch.conf was correctly set, while slapcat returned results).

After plugging away at it for a while, and searching the web for similar problems, I came across a posting where someone suggested that the authentication defaults had changed with OpenLDAP 2.1 and above. At that point, I gave up and downgraded to the same version of openldap I had been running, openldap 2.0.27, and, believe it or not, everything was working. So, I stuck with that config. :)

But, the question is, with the compiled Fedora version of OpenLDAP, what is the proper way to set up nssldap/openldap for user auth?

When I migrated my database, I tried two different methods: copy the dbb files, then, when I still had probs, I did a slapcat of the db and then a slapadd -l <ldif file>. I left the installed version of nss_ldap alone (I didn't modify the config in either instance).

-Rich