btree vs hash for ldbm backend

Hi,

I just wondered if there was some reason to prefer btree storage
ldbm backends over hash storage ldbm backends. Naively, I'd have
thought that hash backends would be quicker for lookups, but perhaps
there's other issues I'm not considering.

In my small dataset (~1000 entries), I can't find any difference in
speed between the two, but I'd guess for large datasets there is a
noticeable difference.

Anyway, I'd be grateful for the merest clue why btree appears
to be preferred.

Cheers,
Mark

Exonetric       "The affordable, flexible Internet hosting provider"
http://www.exonetric.com      Telehouse London colo. 40UKP+VAT/month