Re: Slaves taking up 100% cpu

--On Tuesday, January 20, 2004 12:53 PM +0200 Buchan Milne <bgmilne@obsidian.co.za> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

1) Upgrade your version of OpenLDAP to 2.1.25 (There were serious bugs in 2.1.22)

Hmm, I would like to point out that this is not obvious. Previously, SuSE was criticised for shipping 2.1.22, but at the time SuSE 9 (and Mandrake 9.2 for that matter) shipped, 2.1.22 was shown on the openldap site as being the current stable release. At present, 2.1.22 is still linked into ftp://ftp.openldap.org/pub/OpenLDAP/openldap-stable/ , and no patches are recommended.

For people who don't have the luxury of subscribing to *all* the mailing
lists (which, for instance, may include the maintainers of the packages
in Linux distributions), it is at present not very obvious that 2.1.22
should not have been shipped (and whether it would be wise for
distributors to ship an update to 2.1.25).

It's all fine and well to criticise people distributing your software,
but then it would be polite to ensure that it's easy for them to do the
right thing in the limited time they have to maintain each package they
work on.

Regards,
Buchan

P.S. I am an occasional contributor to the Mandrake openldap packages
and maintainer of a number of Mandrake packages.

Hi Buchan,

I was not criticizing anyone... I was simply pointing out that 2.1.22 is a release that is known to have issues, and Jeff should look at upgrading. Mandrake is certainly far ahead of some Redhat releases still pushing 2.0. ;)

As for knowing what release is stable, just subscribe to OpenLDAP-announce. It is a very small traffic list, where Kurt either announces a new release of OpenLDAP, or which version is being marked "stable".

Also, you can check the website to see what version is currently marked stable (2.1.25).

I'll note that I am not the OpenLDAP release manager, nor am I (currently) officially affiliated with the OpenLDAP project. I do, however, run a heavily used production OpenLDAP deployment, which means that I work closely with the OpenLDAP project, and do what I can to help the overall community with the knowledge that I have gained from this. Which means, if someone writes in, and I see they are using an old version of OpenLDAP with known issues, I'm going to advise that they upgrade.

Regards,
Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount