RE: growth pains, ldbm or bdb?

--On Monday, January 19, 2004 10:18 PM +0100 "J.J. van Gorkum" <job@knowzone.org> wrote:

On nscd,
from: man page of nscd

Nscd caches libc-issued requests to the Name Service. If retrieving NSS
data is fairly expensive, nscd is able to speed up consecutive access to
the same data dramatically and increase overall system performance.

Key is here: NSS data (that's user/group/host/etc info) so no caching of
other entries...
And if it would what would you do with updates to records in the LDAP
database? The main problem with caching is: who should you trust to hold
the most accurate information...

Very correct, and nscd is one of the first things we turn off in our Solaris builds. One reason we don't use any sort of caching system for maildrop entries is that any user can change their mail delivery preferences at any time, so where the mail is to be delivered can change between one lookup and the next.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer