Re: able to connect to LDAP server with perl, but not ldapsearch

At 10:39 AM 1/19/2004, Jeffrey Marans wrote:
>I've installed openldap on a debian woody box and am able to query slapd from
>perl scripts and webmin, but ldapsearch returns ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server.

Likely you aren't providing the appropriate parameters to
ldapsearch(1).  Read the man page for details.

>I've configured /etc/pam_ldap.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf, and /etc/libnss-ldap.conf, but getent passwd only
>looks at /etc/passwd.

These files are part of OpenLDAP Software (nor any impact on
the proper operation of OpenLDAP Software).

>I'm running slapd in debug mode and it doesn't see the ldapsearch connect attempt.

Try ldapsearch in verbose mode.

>I've linked /etc/ldap/slapd.conf to /etc/ldap/ldap.conf just in case I'm missing something.

That's not a good idea.  Suggest you try following the Quick
Start Guide <http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html>.

Note that OpenLDAP's ldap.conf is not necessary for proper
operation.  Before even worrying about ldap.conf, one should
try to get ldapsearch(1) to run by itself with all needed
parameters specified on the command line.

Kurt