ACL per user or per application ?

We intend to use LDAP for user athentication in our (distributed)
application.
Users will always have to go through an application to modify their pasword
and
other user information.
User administration will be delegated to local admins. These too will have
use a custom application to do their admin work.
In other words, nobody should use generic LDAP tools to access the database.

My question now is: do we implement ACLS in terms of user groups,
or do we better implement the ACLs with application accounts ?
What is best in what case ?

Thanks

Erik Devriendt
Project Engineer