LDAP synchronization mechanism

Hi,
I am not a LDAP expert.
I have a generic application that is meant to automatically synchronize with
a LDAP server.
The application is to import any new entries added to a base.
Right now, the user must declare a UID attribute name to synchronize over.
My application get the list of all the entries it knows and computes a
search filter from it:
eg. (&(objectClass=person)(!(uid=cs823))(!(uid=cs923)))
The problem with this algorithm is that its execution time is expodential,
and after a while ldap_search_s returns LDAP_TIMELIMIT_EXCEEDED, which is
normal.
Is there any other synchronization mechanism availble?

Regards,
Frédéric Giudicelli
http://www.newpki.org