Re: creating links

Lukas Meyer wrote:

Let us assume I created two knots in an ldap tree. First is ou=people,o=example and second ou=others,o=example. Now I create the object cn=John Doe,ou=people,o=example. Now I want to create like a link in ou=other,o=example that points to the person cn=John Doe,ou=people,o=example. Is this possible? And if so, how? Because I need to put the same person under different objects and they should all point to the same person in case someone is going to change an attribute of this person, the attributes of all "links" have to change.

You could attempt a referral on the same box:

 dn: cn=referral,ou=others,dc=example,dc=com
 objectClass: referral
 objectClass: extensibleObject
 cn: referral
 ref: ldap://localhost/cn=John Doe,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com

I've never done this with a person, though I've done it with orgs and ous. Your clients will have to be savvy enough to follow referrals, and I understand that referrals are implementation-specific at this point as well. And remember, to delete them, you'll need to use "ldapdelete -M".

--Dave