naming attribute problem

On upgrade to 2.2.4 (from 2.1.23), I find that slapadd complains that
the value of my (locally defined) naming attribute isn't present in my
entries, although it actually is.  I have other entries with uid or cn
as the naming attribute, and I can add those without error.

The first thing I noticed when I tried to upgrade is that slapd choked
on an acl that refers to the entries which use this attribute as the
rdn with the error "Bad DN ... in to DN clause".  That acl has been in
place for quite some time, and has worked with numerous previous
versions of openldap.

My only guess is that I've done something wrong in the definition of
this attribute (although it hasn't changed since 1.2.x).  It's defined
as a single valued, 9 digit numericString.  Nearly all entries contain
this attribute, though the only time it causes a problem is when it
appears as the naming attribute.  I can provide more information if
necessary, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
andrew.tristan@ucr.edu                Unix Systems Group UC, Riverside