RE: OpenLDAP as master of other vendors' directory servers?

You haven't really described enough of your goal to formulate an answer. If
two LDAP servers store identical DITs, then generally
replication/synchronization is a no-brainer. Most frequently however, when
dealing with entrenched use of heterogeneous servers, those servers are in
place because their DITs are specialized and don't match one-to-one with
every other server's DIT. The first question to answer is, what is the
situation with your particular servers, what are they being used for, and how
similar are their existing structures? I.e., why do you "need" to run other
vendors' servers?

In many cases, slurpd can be used directly to sync from OpenLDAP to any other
LDAP server. In more complex cases, I would use slurpd targeted at an
OpenLDAP back-ldap/back-meta instance and use the mapping facilities there to
prep the data that gets sent to the remote server.

  -- Howard Chu