OpenLDAP as master of other vendors' directory servers?

We're thinking about using OpenLDAP as our "master" or primary directory server. However, like a lot of folks, we need to run other vendors' directory servers as well.

My primary question is if anyone is using OpenLDAP as a master and replicating/synchronizing the data to a Netscape/iPlanet/Sun ONE/Sun Java System Directory Server. Down the road, we may also need to synchronize with Active Directory and Oracle Internet Directory.

I've heard of people using Sun ONE Directory as a master and replicating data to Active Directory. And Oracle says its directory server can be a spoke on another vendor's hub. But are people using OpenLDAP as the hub?

I get the impression from this lists' archives that this is going to require some custom programming. Are we talking about scripts to dump and import LDIF files? Cooking something up using perl-ldap, JNDI, or JLDAP? Are there ready-made scripts or other tools available to make synchronizing data from OpenLDAP to Sun ONE as painless as possible?

Thanks in advance,

Phil Durbin
Network Services Administrator
Berklee College of Music