Authenticating SSH from a seperate LDAP server?

I have a system where the /etc/ldap.conf is pointing to an RSA ldap server. All low numbered accounts are stored there, including root, as this is a managed system.

I'd like to run a seperate SSH daemon on a new port and have it (the new ssh daemon, nothing else) authenticate out of an OpenLDAP server running on the same box, and not from the RSA key server. I've tried including a .ldaprc file in the user who runs the ssh daemon's home dir but that the daemon doesn't seem to pick up on it.

Is anyone else doing something similiar, and if you are, can you please explain how?

--
John