Re: openldap linux authentication problems.

Your problem is most likely SSH configuration. I ran up against a similar problem after implementing LDAP. After spending a couple days banging my head against the wall, I found some information that said there are issues with SSH and PAM.

By setting this line in my /etc/ssh/sshd_config, my ldap users can now authenticate without being listed in /etc/passwd:

PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt yes

There is a warning comment in the sshd_config file about this setting, but in my case it does not affect my security model.
Give it a quick test and see if it works for you.

r,
Lance
http://www.newparticles.com/

John Tinpot wrote:

I am experiencing this problem of authentication thru
ldap, when ldap is on a machine on network and also
when slapd is running locally on a RH 9.0.
I have followed steps in various openldap-linux
authentication guides, and one of my machien actually
authenticates me to the domain. The problem is with
this particular machine.
I compiled and built openldap 2.1.25, configured
it.. (attaching the slapd.conf) also downloaded
pam_ldap and nss_ldap packages, and compiled them. The problem occurs when i do authconfig and shift to
ldap for authentication. None of my users (me and
other test users;) ) is able to authenticate, except
when user is listed in /etc/passwd database. If the
user exists only in ldap directory, he is able to bind
to the directory. Then system times out and connection
is closed and system gives another login prompt.
If users are local (listed in /etc/passwd) then they
get authenticated very easily.
the slapd.conf follows.
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/misc.schema
include
/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema

loglevel	904
pidfile		/usr/local/var/slapd.pid
argsfile	/usr/local/var/slapd.args
database	bdb
suffix		"dc=lt,dc=com"
rootdn		"cn=manager,dc=lt,dc=com"
rootpw		secret
directory	/usr/local/var/openldap-data
index	objectClass	eq

###################
my ldap.conf is as follows
host 198.162.0.200
base dc=lt,dc=com
ldap_version 3
binddn cn=proxyuser,dc=lt,dc=com
bindpw proxy
rootbinddn cn=manager,dc=lt,dc=com
pam_filter objectclass=posixaccount
pam_login_attribute uid
pam_member_attribute gid
pam_template_login_attribute uid
pam_password md5
nss_base_passwd		ou=People,dc=lt,dc=com?one
nss_base_shadow		ou=People,dc=lt,dc=com?one
nss_base_group		ou=Group,dc=lt,dc=com?one
nss_base_hosts		ou=Hosts,dc=lt,dc=com?one
nss_map_objectclass posixAccount User

and system logs show these messages
(/var/log/messages)
Jan  3 16:23:32 LTPMS modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
module char-major-10-134
Jan  3 16:25:15 LTPMS modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate
module char-major-10-134
(these messages appear everytime i try to
authenticate on a tty or thru telnet. and even for
local system users)

If I try to ssh this machine with a user only existing
in directory I get a message saying Illegal user julia from 192.168.0.200
Pl. note that with the same configuration, my other
machien authenticates well. But this machine when I
use as a client, it denies me any authentication.

Any clues?? PS: does anybody feel that this char-major-10-134 is
somehow connected to AAA???