RE: sasl version mismatch

I have no problem with this policy in general, but this is not a direct
solution to the problem at hand. This error message indicates that the
version of the Cyrus SASL shared library that the slapd binary loaded at
runtime is older than the one present when OpenLDAP was compiled. In
particular, the <sasl/sasl.h> file that it found came from Cyrus SASL 2.1.17.
This means this particular person has already gone to the trouble of building
SASL by hand, since RedHat doesn't ship with anything so new. This also means
that the custom-built SASL was already installed somewhere, because OpenLDAP
could not find that <sasl/sasl.h> header otherwise.

So the problem is simply that the dynamic linker configuration doesn't point
to the directory where the 2.1.17 libsasl2.so resides. Fix this by setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or using ldconfig. (Or the 2.1.17 libsasl2.so was
overwritten when the 2.1.10 rpm was installed. Then you obviously just have
to go and put it back.)

This isn't black magic, this is Unix 101. You should know this stuff before
you ever rpm --install anything.

  -- Howard Chu