New admin is flailing wildly

I'm using OpenLDAP 2.1.23 on a FreeBSD server.  Its primary mission is to
replace the old NIS service that authenticated multiple hosts, and at that,
it's working perfectly; it's fast, works great on Linux and FreeBSD, and is
as stable as it needs to be.

Now I'm running into a brick wall, though.  I have two databases on the
system:

    dc=honeypot,dc=net : Serves passwd, services, hosts to the LAN

    dc=strauser,dc=com : I want to use this to host a network-wide shared
                         address book.

When I set the system up over a year ago, using OpenLDAP 2.0.x, I could use
Ximian's Evolution as a client to search, view, add, and edit entries.
After migrating to OpenLDAP 2.1 and upgrading Evolution a few times, I can
no longer authenticate the address book client, and I'm limiting to only
searching and viewing the address book.

I'll be honest: at this point, I've RTFM and Googled so much that I'm
starting to thrash about aimlessly.  I don't know how to troubleshoot the
setup, let alone guess what may be wrong with it.  My first question, then,
is whether anyone else is using Evolution and OpenLDAP for non-anonymous
access?
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.