Problems with the file core.schema included with OpenLDAP 2.1.22 & 2.1.25

Hello all.

I've run into a strange problem with my install/upgrade of OpenLDAP. "Upgrading" from the RedHat RPM "openldap-servers-2.0.23-4". I've searched the archives and don't see mention of this particular problems in the bug reports either.

The old version of slapd started fine, and didn't have problems with slapcat/slapadd, etc.

I backed up and renamed all the old files, slapd.conf, and all the schema/*.schema files. If you don't do that then 'make install' preserves the old ones.

When starting the new one it fails immediately with the error:
'Starting slapd: /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema: line 46: AttributeType not found: "name"'.

That's the right location for the new schema file, I checked and did a diff against the one that was created by the .configure/make process.

Sure enough, when you look at line 46, there's a reference to 'name' as a SUP of 'sn'. On line 230 name is defined, but it's commented out, noting that it's defined ABOVE--except that it's NOT defined above! So I move it up above line 46 and un-comment it.

Then we get another error... line 189: AttributeType not found: "distinguishedName".

What the heck? Should I really be in here editing core.schema to get the program to run?

Thanks for any insight.

Lee Clemmer