Suffix documentation?

Hey all,

I'm wondering where all the documentation on creating a suffix is? I've
spent half a day trying to figure out why every query I sent to my slapd
server returned a "no such object" error.

Turns out that you have to create the suffix object for your server. I
finnaly got the magic words typed into Google to give me back a useful piece
of help. Is this common knowledge or did I miss something? I've been using
LDAP for about 2 days now and had no idea what the problem was and none of
Slapd docs even mention this key piece of information.

I did create a simple one of dc=example, but what's the LDIF file look like
if I want to have a suffix of dc=example, dc-com?

My LDIF looks like below, then I did a slapadd on it and all is working!
woohoo!!!

dn: dc=example
dc: example
objectclass: top
objectclass: domain

A general help section on this and various examples of LDIF files to create
the objects would go a long way in helping newbies get up and running IMHO.

Thanks,

matt
mharp@seapine.com