ssh problem with expired password

I have a user in my ldap where the shadowLastChange is set to 0.  This forces the user to change his or her password on the next login; however, when I ssh to a system and login or try to I get the following:

ssh -l user host
user@host's password:
You are required to change your LDAP password immediately.
Warning: Your password has expired, please change it now
connection to host closed by remote host.
connection to host closed.

Anyone know what is going on here? Basically why am I not being prompted to change my password?

Thanks!
Eric Sammons
(804)697-3925
FRIT - Unix Systems