Update referrals not transmitted

I am trying to implement a replication mechanism with one master and one
slave.  So far, I've had unidirectional success.

When updates are made to the master, they are immediately propigated to
the slave, as you would expect.

However, when updates are submitted to the slave, they are actually made
to the slave's database.  Moreover, when I sniff port 389 with Ethereal,
I see no transmission of the updateref from the master to the client.

Attached are my slapd.conf files for both the master and slave.  I
didn't perform the configuration of these servers initially, but AFAICT,
no other configuration files have been modified from their defaults.

Master: OpenLDAP 2.1.22_2 on FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p13
Slave: OpenLDAP 2.1.23 on FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p9

--
Anthony Chavez                             http://www.anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc@anthonychavez.org                jabber:acc@anthonychavez.org

Master slapd.conf:
include		/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/sambatng.schema-v3
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/ldapmail.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
schemacheck	off
allow		bind_v2
pidfile		/var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
argsfile	/var/run/openldap/slapd.args
database	bdb
suffix		"dc=master"
rootdn		"uid=luser"
rootpw		***
replogfile      /somewhere/slurpd.replog
replica         host=eris.maverik.com
                binddn="uid=luser,dc=slave"
                bindmethod=simple
                credentials=***
updatedn        "uid=luser,dc=master" # I have a sneaking suspicion that this doesn't belong here.
directory	/var/db/openldap-data
index	objectClass	eq

Slave slapd.conf:
include		/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/sambatng.schema-v3
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/ldapmail.schema
schemacheck 	off
referral	ldap://master
pidfile		/var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
argsfile	/var/run/openldap/slapd.args