Trying to force password change in SuSE Linux, pam_ldap, openldap 2.1

I am running OpenLDAP v. 2.1 in my Linux environment (testing functionality).  I am attempting to execute passwd -e <userid>.  Run passwd --help you will see that this flag should set the force password change on next login for the given user.  However, when I execute this command I get the error:

Error changing login shell

I am able to reset my passwd using passwd <user>, I am able to login via ssh both from ldap client only systems and the ldap server/client system.  So I have some level of confidence that things are set up correctly.

Any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks!
Eric Sammons
(804)697-3925