Questions about setting the debug level in LDAP clients

    I have a couple of questions about setting the debug level with
LDAP_OPT_DEBUG_LEVEL:

(1) The debug level can only be set globally, not per session.  I'm told
    by the OpenLDAP high priests that this is the intended behaviour.  I
    understand how this happens in the code, but I wonder what have been
    the reasons behind this design choice.

(2) If the debug level is set after a connection is opened to a server,
    only the LDAP_DEBUG_TRACE bit seems to be taken into account.
    Howard Chu seems to imply that this is also intentional.  If that's
    the case, the behaviour is counterintuitive and unexpected (at least
    by me).  So, how exactly is this supposed to work?  Is it safe to
    turn debugging on or off after a connection is opened.  Why are the
    other bits ignored.  IMHO, this should be documented, at the very
    least.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

--