Re: stable?

tor, 11.12.2003 kl. 14.39 skrev Andreas:

> > the RH arguments for running a supported system. Must say I'm enormously
> > impressed with ES3 - after having done 'rpm -e --nodeps' to the Openldap
> > bit and compiling and installing proper stuff.
>
> Don't you loose all the "advantages" of ES3 when doing that? Certification,
> support, etc. After all, openldap can be considered nowadays a core library,
> a lot of applications link against it.

I suppose so, to a limited degree. I've seen from a previous posting of
yours that you're heavily into Linux distros, but as far as I'm
concerned as a sysadmin/mailadmin there are tremendous advantages to
configuring one's own services - in many though not nearly all cases.
Openldap 2.1.25 with BDB support is one of them, Postfix snapshot with
LDAP-based smtp AUTH support is another. I've kicked off UW-IMAP too,
and installed my own Courier 2.2.0.

The Openldap client libraries are backward compatible and ES3 goes on
supporting LDAP auth for all services - whether it's through 2.0.27 or
2.1.25.

Just ask Quanah - or other Solaris power users - whether the Solaris
support is refused if Openldap is used instead of Sun's offering.

My basic admiration for ES3 is that it really is a grown-up OS for
servers - and I say that after many years as a sysadmin using
proprietary Unix brands.

Best,

--Tonni

--