make test fails: test004 ldapmodify, Error 80.

Hello!

I've got a problem installing OpenLDAP (v2.1.22) on my RedHat system.
I'm about to deploy OpenLDAP on our server at the university where i
work, and i set up a blank test server with RedHat 9 to play around with.

First, i compiled and installed BDB 4.2, then set those two env variables:

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib"

After those vars are set, OpenLDAP compiles just fine, but the ldapmodify
test fails. I searched the web for about a week or so, unable to find any
suitable solutions. I tried RedHat 7.3 too, but no success.

This is "make test"'s output:

running defines.sh
running defines.sh . bdb
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running slapadd to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Testing slapd modify operations...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Testing modify, add, and delete...
ldapmodify failed (80)!
make[1]: *** [test-bdb] Error 80
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/inst/openldap-2.1.22/tests'
make: *** [test] Error 2

The previous tests ran just fine and without error messages.
(test001-slapadd, test002-populate and test003-search)

It seems as if i can't find the solution on my own, so any helpul ideas
are greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, my level of linux experience
is novice...

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Michael Lackner
--
Montanuniversität Leoben
Institut für angewandte Mathematik und Geometrie