RE: [JunkMail] Re: sasl version mismatch: 2.1.15 vs 2.1.17

These were early (pre-release) BDB versions, so I don't think it's any fault
on their part. We were lucky to get advance access so we could get our code
working with theirs quickly.

> With this type of vendor one cannot rely on the soname (if it
> contains only
> the major version) at all. That's why I asked if cyrus-sasl
> had such behaviour
> in the past.

Much as I like Linux, there's more to the world than just that. Not all
platforms that support shared libraries use sonames or versioning of any
kind. To think that there is a simpler, straightforward solution to this mess
is missing the larger picture.

  -- Howard Chu